hot bliggety blog background

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

something old, something new?

Today was a long and frustrating day.  I had to get blood drawn for the 2nd trimester prenatal screening, and I HATE needles.  The lab was ridiculously crowded when I got there, but at least the line moved pretty quickly.  Not that I was really in a hurry to get to my turn - have I mentioned that I HATE needles? *sigh* I sucked it up and didn't even cry (well, not REALLY) and when I left I was on a mission....

Yesterday I finally found the bedding set I want for baby's room, and I added it to my baby registry via the store's website.  I decided to go buy a window valance that goes with the set, to use as a fabric sample when I go look at paint chips and ribbon {I really wanted to do a chair rail in the nursery, and then found a cool idea on another blog - I am going to use beautiful grosgrain ribbon on the wall to create the line I want, and since it goes on with liquid starch, I can remove it easily later on if I want to change anything}.  I got really excited last night when I found the exact same bedding set on Target.com, because I have a Target gift card that I can use to buy the window valance!



So, I left the vampire's lair - I mean LAB - to go find my new valance at Target.  Imagine my disappointment when I arrived at Target and learned that they don't carry that bedding set IN the store, it is online only.  So I made plans to go later in the day to the actual store where I am registered, willing to just pay cash for this little curtain, just so I won't have to WAIT for it to be shipped.

I had to kind of rush home to meet my sister and her kids, who were coming over to get a look at little Thomas' ultrasound pictures from the other day.  Her kids are 2 and 4, and are SO adorable!  We got to chat and visit a little, and I showed her my ideas for the baby's room.  She already has her nursery basically DONE, since her 2 year old is going to simply move to the guest room and her new little one (due right before mine) will inherit the nursery.  I even got inspired and started pulling bags of baby clothes out of the closet to sort through and see what (if anything) I will really need to BUY for Thomas.  I've had those clothes in there for awhile, and was putting off going through them until we knew if we were having a boy or a girl, so I am excited to finally be going through all this adorable stuff - some dating as far back as my own 10 year old.  Oooooh, the memories that brings out!  I love hand-me-down baby clothes anyway, because they grow so fast it is just a total WASTE of money to buy new baby clothes.

After my sister left, I loaded up all the empty recyclable bottles and cans to turn in for my 'refund' (here in CA you pay the redemption value like a tax whenever you buy soda, bottled water, etc and the only way to get it back is to actually RECYCLE everything).  Another looooong line at the recycling center, YAY.  I don't want to go off on too much of a tangent here, but this is a major pet peeve of mine: the recycle centers are few and far between, and with VERY limited hours, so there is always a LONG LINE.  They force us to recycle, then they make it nearly impossible!  Seriously, the center I go to is only open from 10:30 to 4:00 with a half hour closure for lunch, and only 5 days a week!  Anyway, sorry, that's enough of that rant.

Recycling done, I headed to the baby store to buy my curtain, only to find out that THEY also only carry it online.  I debated changing my registry, choosing a bedding set from the in-store patterns, but already can picture the nursery all done, with the grosgrain ribbon and everything.....so I went home, all bummed.  I ordered it online, so now I have to wait 7 to 10 days for the curtain to even arrive.  I hate waiting almost as much as I hate needles.  But wait I will, because this bedding is PERFECT.  And THEN I can go look at *NEW* paint and *NEW* ribbon, and maybe some other *NEW* things for my new baby.

1 comment:

  1. I have been given hand-me-downs by my husbands cousins and I LOVE them, they have saved me so much and I know Baby Girl will grow out of them so quickly!

    ReplyDelete