hot bliggety blog background

Monday, August 23, 2010

35 weeks down, only 5 weeks left!

I had my 35 week checkup the other day, and all went VERY well.  I had a sonogram to measure baby's growth, because he was measuring big a few weeks ago - like 3 WEEKS bigger than he should have been at that point.  This time he measured only a LITTLE BIT large, like less than a week ahead of the 'norm'. 

My OB seems somewhat paranoid about delivering big babies, so if this one is going to be HUGE, she will use that as an excuse to induce labor as early as 37 or 38 weeks.  I think I am good with that :) 

Baby's heart rate was perfect, and he moved a lot during the exam.

I had forgotten how uncomfortable/painful a pelvic exam could be.....but am SO HAPPY that she did one, because I have been having a lot more contractions.  Still nothing all that regular, but they've grown more intense and some have lasted as long as a minute.  Anyway, the exam showed that I'm dilated to 1cm (which is nothing....I spend the last 3 or 4 weeks of pregnancy at 2cm anyway) and I am 50% effaced!  OMG!  Normally my stubborn cervix will not thin out until I am IN active labor. 50% effaced at this point, 5 weeks ahead, is a VERY VERY VERY good sign, especially if I need to have labor induced.

I posted my birth stories awhile back detailing the first three births...the most recent one occurred ten days after a FAILED INDUCTION.  Prior to that experience, I had never heard of such a thing!  I figured, once they induce labor, that's it, you're having the baby.  But I went a full day on pitocin in the hospital at the end of my last pregnancy, and had lots of really GREAT, really REGULAR (and really painful) contractions......which did nothing AT ALL to my cervix. It was one of the most raumatic experiences of my life.  I'm relieved to see that my cervix is ALREADY being more cooperative this time

My OB is out of town this week, so I am trying to re-train my brain to focus on NOT having this baby yet.  I've been wishing for awhile now for an early delivery, as long as baby is safe & OK. Now I have to tell myself, "be careful what you wish for!"

After my doctor gets back from her vacation, I will have weekly checkups in the final four weeks....I can't believe it's getting so CLOSE!  :)

Yes, I am excited - can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment